Monday, October 27, 2008

Texaco Trot

Something I have wanted to do, that was actually June's idea, since starting with the running outdoors is make the trek in my area of town from my neighborhood to the Texaco. This would violate the 25 minutes total running so I started a little different today by walking to the front my neighborhood and then starting the trot from there based on what I thought a 25 minute run would feel like.

I started out at the beginning of my neighborhood and began off on the journey for what is about a 1.25 mile distance up to the Texaco. Those who have never witnessed don't know, but it's a bit of a surprise what you could run in to on the way up Bouldercrest. There are some condemned apartments that are being sold off building by building which used to be for the most part low-income housing which some crime occurred in. Since the closure I've deemed it much safer to venture in to these sections of town, but six months ago I probably would have stayed away from the area, especially considering that I am carrying my iPhone for the tunes and the mapmyrun.com app and knowing that some good stolen from area houses made their way back to this establishment.

The best part of the run was that at 25 minutes, I stopped. I stopped not because I had to but that is a part of my plan and there's no sense in having a plan if I'm just going to do what I want. Stopping at the plan left me with a nice cool-down walk of about a half mile. In addition to moving the line further, this was my first run in brisk air. I had some concerns about the cool weather but after about 5-10 minutes of moving along it proved to be a non-issue, except maybe for a parched throat from inhaling the cool air, definately not camel related. At this point I'm really excited about the first time I'm able to make it all the way to the East Atlanta Village, about 2.5 to 3 miles, possibly grabbing a victory pint, and heading back on the run home but that will be a while.

After the run I sat down to a good afternoon of work knocking out some migration of data and setting up of some new authentication servers before going to meet some of the Hattiesburg crew that's in town for training with June. Oh yeah, you guessed it, Blue Frog Cantina! It is in fact a Monday which has the added benefit of the dollar taco night action. I was very proud of myself and Vic for stopping at the two-PBR mark. I believe all three enjoyed the tacos and June really enjoyed the pomegranate margaritas providing entertainment for the entire party.

No comments: